18 Jul 2016

Internship – How to handle your Internship –IV

Here goes one more posting on internship more in terms of how employers should handle their interns at Workplace.

In this posting, I would like to share my own experience that I had as an HR student. That was more than a decade ago. I did my internship in three different organizations when I was an HR student.  It was a mix of good, bad and ugly and let us check my story.


My internship experience. 

It was a Monday which meant getting up early to onboard my company bus for my internship. The factory was in the outskirts and I had to be there in the pick-up point by 7.30 am in the morning to catch the company bus.  If you don’t show up on time, the bus will move on.  That was the simple principle with which they operated the bus services so one’s delay or cumulative delay of few does not affect all the others reaching the factory on time.

My alarm rings at 6.30 AM. I switch it off to take a nap for a while and I hurry up. We used to get my breakfast in the factory canteen which was a big time-saver. So I get ready and reach the pick-up point just on time to be picked up by the Bus.

Those were the days that I always used to look forward to my internship in this particular factory.  Unlike my previous internships, I had few meaningful work to do that provided practical insight to what I studied in my class room. I still remember that, on my first day, the HR Manager had a brief chat with me to understand why I chose HR, what is my long term career ambition, what I intend to do during my internship. He also gave an idea of what kind of work he was planning to involve me during these 6 months of concurrent internship. That was a good start.

It was not just the talk; he really did walk the talk.  First I got to attend some of their in-house training programs and I was made in charge for all internal communications and collecting feedbacks for all the programs. Being SPOC for something when you are an Intern is really cool and it really made a big difference to me.

After a brief orientation on compiling and preparing a report on Training feedback, I started doing it for all the training programs myself independently. The feedbacks are given on a 5 point rating scale and the job involved capturing the rating given for each of the questions by all participants. When I made few mistakes in capturing the feedback response and I was to meet him in his cabin. I was little nervous and mentally preparing as to how to deal with that situation. All those preparation became useless when he said that if you don’t make a mistake, you’ve not learnt anything new.

He explained about the consequences of my mistake in terms of how a good program can be rated as a bad and vice versa.  He continued to have the same trust on me and he continued to assign me meaningful tasks that provided good learning opportunity for me.

After few days of internship, I had a proper workstation to sit and do my work. By the time I was about to complete my internship, I got exposed to the basic functions like time office, disciplinary action, canteen management which are still important activities in a factory set-up. This internship indeed played a big role in getting my first corporate break.

My bad and ugly experiences in other industries were really bad and ugly. No proper place to sit and no one to guide.  Nobody to bother if I was present or absent. No work even after follow-up and I had to kill my time.  No learning period.

I’ve summed up few important points from my internship experience in terms of how employers should manage their interns.

                                                            
Do give them meaningful work.  That’s what will motivate the Interns.  Unless you have meaningful work / tasks that you can give it to interns, don’t hire them.

Internship must add to their employability skills.

Give them minimum required resources. Identify someone who can be a SPOC or mentor for the Interns. 

Remember, Interns too can be your brand ambassadors.
                                    ”

diD yOU enJOY ReADinG ThIS ArTIcLE? 
                                  If yES, 
yOU maY sHAre it wiTH Your FriENds tOO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your time and feedback..!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My HR Blog